Image Map

2.03.2014

My Super Bowl Observations



I’ve never been a sports fan. I always felt more connected to physical activities that offered shoes or handbags as prizes (until I found online shopping and realized I was now opposed to all forms of physical activity.) It wasn’t even so much that I disliked the idea of watching sports, I just didn’t understand them and I was too ADD to ever properly learn the rules. I have had many friends and boyfriends try to explain to me the detailed statutes of various athletic events. I could never quite retain the information being given to me. I’m not proud of this. The charming novelty of my lack of athletic education is gone and left only people’s sheer disgust that, at 23 years of age, I still haven’t figured it out yet. I know that no finger can be pointed at anyone other than myself, but I actually think that my brain automatically repels the information to make room for the stream of neuroses that perpetually flows through it. As you can imagine, the Super Bowl has never been an annual source of excitement for me. It’s not that I don’t like the commercials, although it’s sometimes hard for me to truly enjoy a Super Bowl commercial because I have nothing to compare it to; I only watch TV on my DVR. It’s not that I dislike the rituals of cheese-covered everything washed down with gallons of beer; I’m not an animal, I love that. I also thoroughly enjoy the halftime show just as much as any other self-respecting American; I’ll take any excuse to possibly see nipple. Say what you want, but you know you rewound and paused to see if it was ACTUALLY a real nipple. You did, I did, we all did. All that aside, the honest and only reason I actually tune into the Super Bowl is my sheer, social fascination of the female sideline reporter.

It is not that I am marveled by the fact that a female could possibly possess an interest in sports so great that she should want to pursue a career in it. I mean I’m not Lena Dunham or anything but I like to think I hold some feministic ideals. I did just say “nipple” on the Internet so I’m obviously incredibly progressive. I am just interested in what it would be like to be so knowledgeable in the realm of athletics that not only could I actually have a conversation about it, I could do it better than most men. This is a feeling I have never known and will never know. Every year, when I tune into “The Big Game,” my attention is completely consumed by Erin Andrews or her female counterparts. I study her the way one might study an algorithm. I don’t understand it so I am only more drawn to figuring it out. There is immense power in knowing a lot about sports and I wonder if she completely understands that. I wonder if she knows what it’s like on the other side. How tough it is for girls, like me, when the tailgate has faded to black and you’re left at a bar with your football savvy friends, fending for yourself. No matter how much beer you drink, you still have no idea when to cheer. No matter how well executed your themed outfit is, your friends are still going to get annoyed that you’re reading a book on your phone. That’s a cross she will never have to bear. I bet she completely owns first dates. No immediate chemistry? No problem. She knows everything there ever was to know about the male species’ favorite topic. There is no risk at sounding like that girl who pretends she knows a ton about sports but really knows nothing, she has an entire nation backing up her credibility. That must be the ultimate luxury. I can’t even imagine what it would look like if I was asking the Seahawks post game questions. It would probably just turn into a really long-winded game of Never Have I Ever.  

Though I will never be Erin Andrews, I know there is a very simple solution to my problem: learning the rules of sports. I’m not sure my attention span will ever allow that to happen and I’m okay with that. I like the mental vacation I take every year as I watch that long-legged athletic encyclopedia make the Super Bowl her bitch. For now, I’m comfortable clinging to the sporting event I do understand: The Academy Awards Red Carpet Special, the actual award show, the post show, and the special episode of Fashion Police after the post show ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment